Are you a Muggle looking for a fun game to play with friends or your family? Fortunately, you’ve got a lot of great choice when it comes to cool Harry Potter games for the whole family. So whether you’re into card games, trivia games, or something else, there is certain to be a Harry Potter-themed game that you’ll love to add to your family game night. And best of all, you can find something for all ages. So, check out our list of the best Harry Potter board games and more!
- Harry Potter Board Games
- 1. Clue Harry Potter Board Game
- 2. Harry Potter Magical Beasts Game
- 3. Pictopia: Harry Potter Edition
- 4. Harry Potter Mystery At Hogwarts Game by Mattel
- 5. Scene It? Harry Potter DVD Game
- 6. Harry Potter Diagon Alley Board Game
- 7. Harry Potter 2nd Edition Scene It? The DVD Game
- 8. Harry Potter and The Sorcerer’s Stone — The Game
- Other Harry Potter Games
- 9. Harry Potter Gringotts Checkers Set
- 10. Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle A Cooperative Deck Building Game
- 11. TRIVIAL PURSUIT: World of Harry Potter Edition
- 12. Harry Potter Wizard Chess Set
- 13. Harry Potter Triwizard Maze Game
- 14. Harry Potter Playing Cards
- 15. Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban Top Trumps Card Game
- 16. LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 video game
- 17. LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 video game
- 18. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince video game
- 19. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 & 2 video games
- 20. Harry Potter for Kinect – Xbox 360 video game
- 21. LEGO Harry Potter Collection – PlayStation 4 video game
Harry Potter Board Games
Surprisingly, there are only a handful of Harry Potter board games available. With Harry Potter having so many fans around the world, it is surprising that there were only a small amount of board games made. Here are our top picks for Harry Potter Board games.
1. Clue Harry Potter Board Game
Another classic board game that gets the Harry Potter treatment is Clue. If you enjoy playing the old school version of the game, then you’ll really dig this Potterverse version.
The game board takes place in Hogwarts, and just like in the books, parts of the school can move and change where they are located. We think that is honestly one of the coolest things that any of these games offer.
The object of this game is to discover WHO did it, WHAT spell or item they used and WHERE the student was attacked. Three players are required for this game as there is no two-player variant of it. And the recommended age group is age 9 and up.
Expect game play for three people to take around 45 minutes, and for five people around two hours.
Though we find the game a bit expensive compared to other board games, we can’t deny that the game board looks cool and it’s definitely fun to play – if you have three people for game play.
- Game board features wheels which move the rooms and reveal secret passages!
- Solve the mystery of a students disappearance from Hogwarts! Ready your magic wand and prepare to solve the mystery across the many rooms of Hogwarts Castle.
- Play as your favorite Harry Potter character - Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, Hermione Granger, Ginny Weasley, Luna Lovegood, and Neville Longbottom
- A great board games for families and a perfect gift for Harry Potter fans! Featuring room locations from the Harry Potter books and Harry Potter movies - they have come to life in this Clue game.
Last update on 2020-01-19 at 01:04 / Affiliate disclaimer / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
2. Harry Potter Magical Beasts Game
Calling all wizards! This board game is for two to four players who can handle the latest Hogwarts problem – magical beasts have broken loose at Hogwarts.
In this action-packed game, you play as Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, Hermione Granger, or Ginny Weasley. Collect clues to track down creatures both inside and outside Hogwarts! watch out though, moving from Hogwarts to the grounds nearby can be treacherous and cost you clues and precious time. The dynamic swinging game board adds excitement that leads to hours of fun.
This game relies mostly on luck, but there is the need for a little strategy to come out victorious. It is recommended for ages 8 and up and it can be a bit repetitive and boring for adults. If you’re shopping for a game for adults only, then we recommend the CLUE game version above instead of this one.
- Unique swinging game board allows play inside and outside of Hogwarts
- Explore the interior of Hogwarts and the grounds as you try to collect elements to capture the beasts
- Be the first to collect all the clues, and figure out which magical beast you have captured!
- Play as your favorite Harry Potter character
Last update on 2020-01-19 at 01:04 / Affiliate disclaimer / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
3. Pictopia: Harry Potter Edition
If you’re already got the Trivial Pursuit edition above, then consider adding this Pictopia game version to your next game night. You can play with two to six players and it is recommended for ages 7 and up.
The game comes with 200 Cards, 6 Answer Dials, 30 Prophecy Coins, 1 Game Board, 6 Movers, 1 Die, and Instructions. In this game for families and fans alike, you’ll encounter 1,000 picture trivia questions that will transport you to J.K. Rowling’s Wizarding World—discussing beloved characters and magical creatures, revisiting magnificent locations, and marveling at enchanted objects from the epic Harry Potter movies!
The game includes content from all the Harry Potter films including the newest movie, Fantastic Beasts. Honestly, we here at Gaming Weekender prefer this over Trivial Pursuit.
- What you get - Harry Potter pictopia comes with 1 game board, 6 movers, 6 answer dials, 30 prophecy Coins, 1 die, 200 trivia cards, and instructions.
- Great for Harry Potter fans and families - Whether you're playing with a group of devoted gryffindors, classic strategy gamers, or with your family, pictopia is perfect for any game night occasion and makes a great gift for Harry Potter lovers!
- Clear instructions - easy to learn with clear instructions! Each of the 6 villains has their own guide, and these guides will inspire you with strategies and tips for crafting the most successful Plan to win!
- Includes content from all Harry Potter movies, including fantastic beasts! As well as 1000 picture trivia questions!
Last update on 2020-01-19 at 01:04 / Affiliate disclaimer / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
4. Harry Potter Mystery At Hogwarts Game by Mattel
Can you solve the mystery of the forbidden spell? This Harry Potter Mystery at Hogwarts Game from Mattel takes you on a magical ride through the halls of Harry’s famous school. Someone has cast a forbidden spell and you need to figure out who did it, which classroom they were in and what spell was cast. But be careful: Peeves, the poltergeist, is out to get you.
This game is designed for between two to six players. The recommended age group ages 8 and up. Note that this is a “Clue” type game and not a trivia game. Compared to CLUE, this game requires just a bit more strategy.
- Can you solve the mystery of the forbidden spell?
- This Harry Potter Mystery at Hogwarts Game from Mattel takes you on a magical ride through the halls of Harry's famous school.
- Someone has cast a forbidden spell and you need to figure out who did it, which classroom they were in and what spell was cast. But be careful: Peeves, the poltergeist, is out to get you.
- For 2 to 6 players.
5. Scene It? Harry Potter DVD Game
Like all Scene It? games, this version is DVD based and contains clips from the Harry Potter movies. You are asked trivia about the movies in this interactive DVD board game.
Overall, this is a fun game for the whole family or for a group.
- The Spellbinding Game with Harry Potter movie Clips
- Includes 1 DVD, flextime game board, 4 collectible metal tokens, 4 reference cards, 160 trivia cards
- Test yourknowledge of one of the world's most famous wizards with film clips, puzzlers and questions based on the Harry Potter movies
6. Harry Potter Diagon Alley Board Game
This is one of the older Harry Potter board games and can actually be a challenge to find for sale new anywhere. And often, when you can find it new the price can be rather expensive. You can look for it new or try you luck shopping for it used on eBay
You need between three and six players for game play, with the recommended age group being ages 8 and up. Expect for game play to take you around 45 minutes for three players.
Hurry and visit all the shops of fascinating Diagon Alley to buy wizard school supplies before they run out. The Harry Potter Diagon Alley board game is an exciting race of spending, scheming and casting spells to beat out your opponents. In the world of Harry Potter, Diagon Alley is the long, cobbled street filled with the most amazing shops in the world, accessible only through the Leaky Cauldron Pub in London.
Includes game board, 6 trunk cards, 46 Diagon Alley cards, 36 trunk items, 60 wizard coins, 6 moving hats, die and a “closed” sign.
- Hurry and visit all the shops of fascinating Diagon Alley to buy wizard school supplies before they run out
- Enjoy an exciting race of spending, scheming and casting spells to beat out your opponents
- This is your chance to shop Diagon Alley
- For 3 to 6 wizards and muggles ages 8 years and over
7. Harry Potter 2nd Edition Scene It? The DVD Game
An update of the first Scene It? Harry Potter game, this one covers the movies up until the fifth movie. So, if you’re looking for an updated version that includes more movies, then this is it.
This interactive DVD board game works and plays just like the other version listed above. It’s also great for family game nights.
- Everybody's favorite DVD trivia game is back, with more questions! Are you the resident Hogwarts expert in your home?
- Prove it, with Scene It? The DVD board game featuring movie clips and more
8. Harry Potter and The Sorcerer’s Stone — The Game
This is another one of those really early Harry Potter games that is out of print now and really hard to find. Sometimes you can find it for sale on Amazon, but you might have better luck looking for it used on eBay.
If you do buy it used, then be sure ti carefully read the description so that you’ll know if pieces are missing (which is common for used games this old).
- Harry Potter game
- Solve the mystery- win the game
- English (Publication Language)
Other Harry Potter Games
Some people might consider a few of these board games, but we have classified them as card games. Here our picks for non-Harry Potter board games. They consist of mainly video games and card games. If you have any additions to these please let us know in the comments below!
9. Harry Potter Gringotts Checkers Set
Checker is one of those classic games that you can play at any age, which is what makes this a great option for families. What’s cool about this game, and what makes it a must-have for Harry Potter fans, is that the checkers pieces look like coins from Gringotts bank.
And if that isn’t cool enough, you store the “coins” in little money bags. Though they look metal in the images, the coins are made of a lightweight plastic. Overall, we find the cardboard game board to be sturdy and quality and the checkers pieces to be of decent quality. While we’d prefer to the “coins” to be metal, this is still a nice game for Potter fans who enjoy playing checkers. Definitely an awesome game for muggles.
- Classic game of checkers reimagined with the Gringotts coins used as the pieces.
- Features full-color artwork on game board.
- Includes 1 game board, 15 silver checker pieces, 15 gold checker pieces, 1 silver pouch, and 1 gold pouch
- Officially licensed by Warner Brothers.
10. Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle A Cooperative Deck Building Game
If you’re looking for something a bit more challenging, then this cooperative deck building game should meet your needs. Since it is a bit more difficult than checkers, the recommended age group is age 11 and up.
You can play this game with two to four players, and like most strategy games, expect game play to take between 30 minutes to an hour (depending on which “Book” you are playing in the game). And if you’ve ever played anything like Pandemic or Forbidden Island, then you’ll recognize that this is a co-op strategy game where the players are supposed to help each other and work together to win the game. It’s really a lot of fun, even for adults. And, it’s fun for just two players – you don’t need all four players for it to be enjoyable to play.
The game comes with 252 cards, 4 dice, 7 game boxes, 7 game rules, 4 player boards, 8 villain control tokens, and 70 chip pieces
One of the things that we really like about this game is that as you play each level (“book”), it becomes harder and more involved. You’ll also notice that it takes longer to play the levels as you progress. But it’s really a lot of fun if you enjoy cooperative deck building games.
- Play as your favorite character to defend the wizarding world from evil forces: Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley and Neville Longbottom
- Gain influence to master powerful spells, recruit allies, and uncover magical items
- Enhance your abilities with over 140 cards
- 7 successive game adventures offer increasing difficulty: as you advance through games 1-7 of Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle, you will reveal progressively more challenging adventures and unlock new secrets on your journey to save Hogwarts from the Dark Lord!
And if you really enjoy this game, then you should know that there is an expansion deck that you can add for even more fun. It’s the Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle – The Monster Box of Monsters Expansion Card Game. Keep in mind that you can’t play this expansion deck alone – it is meant to be added to the game above.
- Expansion for Hogwarts Battle, the hit Harry Potter deck building game
- Venture into the Forbidden Forest as you encounter creatures!
- 4 more boxes to add to the base game, plus now play as Luna Lovegood to save Hogwarts
- Work together to defeat the evil forces and protect iconic locations to make the Wizarding World safe once and for all!
11. TRIVIAL PURSUIT: World of Harry Potter Edition
Test your knowledge of all things Harry Potter with this game – see who knows more about Potterverse, you or your friends and family? This fun take on the classic trivia game is definitely a lot of fun for fans of all things Harry Potter.
You only need two players for game play, and the recommended age group for this one is ages 8 and up. The game has a total of 600 questions with six different trivia categories available for game play. Six trivia categories include: The Dark Arts, HOGWARTS, Magical Spells & Potions, Magical Objects, Magical People and Animals & Magical Creatures.
Our only real complaint about this game is that it is based off the movies and not the books.
- Step into the Hogwarts library and answer 600 questions based on the Harry Potter movies
- This Harry Potter merchandise is quick to play, easy to store, and convenient to carry
- Play Harry Potter Trivial Pursuit from the car, on family trips, or anywhere - get your trivia pursuit on wherever you go!
- First player to answer 12 questions correctly wins and bragging rights for head student at Hogwarts!
12. Harry Potter Wizard Chess Set
If you enjoy playing chess, then you will really like this cool wizard chess set – just like you see in the Harry Potter movies. Of course, the only difference is that the pieces aren’t life size and alive.
The board is approximately 18½” X 18½” (47 cm X 47 cm) and made of sturdy cardboard. The height of the pieces vary between the King at 4½” (11.5 cm) and a pawn at 2¼” (5.7 cm). Unfortunately, the pieces are made of a heavy plastic – we’d prefer pewter or something similar at this price point. That being said, it does seem to be of decent quality and it’s still a fun conversation piece.
- Officially authorized by Warner Brothers.
- Manufactured by The Noble Collection.
- Set includes chess pieces and playing board.
- Chess pieces measure 2 to 4 inches. Playing board is 18.5 x 18.5 inches.
13. Harry Potter Triwizard Maze Game
If you’ve played and enjoyed the old school game Trouble, then you’ll like playing this variation of it. In this game, players pop the die and move their playing pieces around the maze, racing to reach home.
It features fast-action Pop ‘N’ Race play as you race around the Triwizard hedge maze to capture the Triwizard Cup! Be careful – action spaces cause you to draw a card that can help or hurt your chances.
Land on a “draw” space to draw a Maze Card. Will you find a spell to send your opponent to another space on the board, or will a wind gust reveal a shortcut in your path? Cards can help, or hurt, your race through the maze, adding increased excitement and anticipation to the game.
Overall, we think that this is a fun game for families with kids and we like that it is one of the cheaper options out there for Harry Potter fans.
- Perfect for the Harry Potter Super fan
- Classic POP 'N' Race gameplay with a twist
- Race through the Triwizard maze to get to the finish line, but beware of magical spell cards which could send you back to start!
- For 2-4 players, ages 5 and up
14. Harry Potter Playing Cards
If you enjoy a variety of card games over board games, then you can still bring a bit of the Wizarding world into your card games. Just check out these cool Harry Potter playing cards.
These cards are in full color and really cool for the Harry Potter collector. Our only complaint so far is that Dobby isn’t in any of the card images. But even so, we still think these are a great addition to the home of any Harry Potter fan.
- Contains multiple images
- Cards measure 2.5 x 3.5
- Officially licensed
- Cards have a linen type finish
15. Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban Top Trumps Card Game
The first thing that you need to know about this game is that you can buy it for all the other movies/books as well. We just chose “The Prisoner Of Azkaban” because it was our favorite of the movies.
This game is geared more towards kids and is the perfect road trip game or airplane game to keep them occupied. However, two players are required for it.
- Entertaining educational card game loved for bringing your favorite witches and wizards from Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban to life
- Play Top Trumps anytime, anywhere, with as many people as you like
- Find out who is more courageous, Harry Potter or Hermione Granger, does Professor Severus Snape possess more magic than Professor Minerva McGonagall? Find out in this edition of Top Trumps - Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban
- Easy-to-carry plastic case means there are no limits on gameplay
16. LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 video game
This video game is a few years old and is available on mostly older gaming systems, like the Nintendo Wii, but you can still get it for play on some current consoles.
Gaming platforms supported by this game are: Nintendo Wii, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo DS, Playstation PS3, Sony PSP, XBOX 360, PC download and Mac download
You can play this as a one player or two player game.
- Play through 24 story events and return to Hogwarts where there are 16 different lessons to attend
- Learn and use all new charms and spells including the 'Unforgivable Curses'
- Master advanced dueling skills to defeat Voldemort's Death Eaters as you battle toward the ultimate showdown with the Dark Lord himself
- Discover and unlock over 80 characters including, Fenrir Greyback, Bellatrix Lestrange and Professor Horace Slughorn
17. LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 video game
This game is even older than the Years 5-7 above, which means that even fewer platforms are supported for it.
Gaming platforms supported by this game are: Nintendo Wii, Nintendo DS, Playstation PS3, Sony PSP, XBOX 360, PC download and Mac
- Experience your favorite Harry Potter moments through the proven prism of the LEGO video game franchise.
- Explore iconic settings including Hogwarts castle, Diagon Alley, the Forbidden Forest and the village of Hogsmeade. LEGO Hogwarts castle is a grand, immersive 3-D environment and the largest, most detailed LEGO game location ever built.
- Play as Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, Hermione Granger as well as other favorite characters with over 100 possible options.
- Attend lessons, cast spells, mix potions, fly on broomsticks, and complete tasks to earn points.
18. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince video game
Like the two LEGO Harry Potter video games listed up above, this one is also older and not playable on the newest gaming consoles. But, if you still have one of these older working systems, then you can enjoy playing this game.
Gaming platforms supported by this game are: Nintendo Wii, Nintendo DS, Playstation PS2, Playstation PS3, Sony PSP, XBOX 360, PC download
- 2-player local multiplayer support.
- Feel the thrill of Quidditch as the Wii Remote and Nunchuck become your broomstick and you speed through the stadium.
- Defeat the Dark Forces as you use the Wii Remote as your wand to duel your way through the story of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.
- Perfect your potion-mixing skills using the Wii Remote to stir, shake and pour potions from the Half-Blood Prince’s recipes.
19. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 & 2 video games
Like the other Harry Potter video games listed up above, this one is also older and not playable on the newest gaming consoles. But, if you still have one of these older working systems, then you can enjoy playing this game.
Gaming platforms supported by this game are: Nintendo Wii, Nintendo DS, Playstation PS3, XBOX 360, PC download
- The wand is the ultimate weapon - Hold nothing back! Unleash an arsenal of formidable magic to defeat attackers, protect yourself from harm and evade capture.
- Deadly enemies lurk around every corner - Fight Voldemort's minions, including Death Eaters, Snatchers and Dementors. Overcome a host of fierce creatures attacking on instinct alone. No other Harry Potter game has had this level of action!
- Become a master in stealth - Use the Invisibility Cloak, Polyjuice Potion and Peruvian Instant Darkness Powder to avoid detection and sneak past adversaries.
- Unique cover mechanics - Use magic to create and wield cover. Throw your cover at enemies, turning defence into attack.
20. Harry Potter for Kinect – Xbox 360 video game
As you can see from the title for this one, you have to play this game on the XBOX 360 and it requires Kinect to play. If you have the 360 and Kinect, then you’ll probably find this to be a lot of fun.
You can challenge a friend in competitive mini-games, or join forces against a mutual opponent in co-op games.
- For the first time, create a witch or wizard character in your likeness that will become part of the gameplay through Kinect’s scanning technology.
- Experience unforgettable moments from all eight films - from having your wand choose you at Ollivanders and being Sorted as a first-year student at Hogwarts, to battling You-Know-Who in a climactic wizard battle
- Cast spells at your opponents by performing the proper casting maneuvers and calling out spell names utilizing Kinect’s controller-free and voice recognition capabilities.
- Hone your casting, brewing and duelling skills (among others) in class to unlock even more lessons and challenges
21. LEGO Harry Potter Collection – PlayStation 4 video game
If you don’t have the older gaming console systems and want to play the LEGO Harry Potter games, then you’re in luck. Both of the games are available together in this collection that is exclusively for the Playstation PS4 console.
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 and LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 on PlayStation 4 for the first time, both top-selling videogames remastered on one disc.
- Discover and unlock all of your favorite characters from the across the wizarding world of Harry Potter, while taking an interactive journey through iconic locations from the beloved books and films.
- Full of spell-casting, potion-making, puzzle-solving, lessons, dueling and much more for players of all ages to enjoy with friends and family using easy drop-in/drop-out cooperative play.
- A perfect gift for fans eagerly anticipating the upcoming film, Fantastic Beasts 2.
top image credit: Konark/Deposit Photos