Are you in the market for a gaming mouse pad—a pad to go along with your high quality gaming mouse, headset and other accessories? Do you know what to look for in a premium-grade gaming mouse pad? If not, the following article may prove very useful.
Here we have reviewed several of the most popular and hottest-selling gaming mouse pads currently on the market, and highlighted some of the advantages and drawbacks associated with each product. We have also compiled a Gaming Mouse Pad Buying Guide, in which we have outlined and defined some of the most important factors to consider—and the characteristics to look for—when shopping for a top-of-the-line gaming mouse pad.
Best Gaming Mousepads For The Money (2018)
Last update on 2019-01-18 at 09:50 / Affiliate disclaimer / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
CORSAIR MM800 Polaris RGB Mouse Pad
When you hear the term mouse pad, you probably think of the boring little piece of spongy material on which you lay your mouse when it’s in use. Well, that is only one form of a mouse pad. Enter the CORSAIR MM800 Polaris RGB Mouse Pad. Far from being that traditional piece of “spongy material,” this mouse pad is a futuristic-looking piece of equipment you need to see to appreciate. Featuring 15 independent zones of customizable RGB LED lighting, the CORSAIR MM800 Polaris RGB Mouse Pad is guaranteed to light up any gaming station and breathe new life into every game you play. Its true PWM lighting technology allows the mouse pad to display the most accurate color reproduction you will find in a product like this; and its non-slip rubber base ensures that the pad stays “locked down” where you need it while you’re fighting off enemies from another world.
The CORSAIR MM800 Polaris RGB Mouse Pad is designed with a built-in USB pass-through port with a 1.8 M braided cable for your mouse. This frees up an additional USB port on your PC tower and puts a whole new level of power and organization at your finger tips. The low-textured mouse surface is very special on this mouse pad. Along with protecting the most vulnerable parts of your specialized gaming mouse, it ensures the most rapid pixel-precise tracking money can buy. Available in a wide variety of colors, sizes and patterns, the CORSAIR MM800 Polaris RGB Mouse Pad is the only pad a serious gamer will ever need when striving for gamer glory.
- Customizable lighting profile. The customizable LED lighting profile on the CORSAIR MM800 Polaris RGB Mouse Pad allows you to personalize your mouse pad any way you wish.
- Many sizes and colors available. The mouse pad is available in a variety of colors and sizes: small medium and extended.
- Two surfaces to choose from. Purchasers of the CORSAIR MM800 Polaris RGB Mouse Pad can select from either the soft or hard surface variety.
- Not very aesthetically pleasing. The cords and USB plug protrude out the back of the CORSAIR MM800 Polaris RGB Mouse Pad.
- Can be uncomfortable. Some reviewers have noted that the mouse pad can be somewhat uncomfortable during longer playing sessions.
- Premium-priced. The CORSAIR MM800 Polaris RGB Mouse Pad is not the product for the budget-conscious.
Razer Sphex V2 Gaming Mouse Mat
If you’re looking for an ultra-thin mouse pad that also offers the best in comfort, the appropriately-named Razer Sphex V2 Gaming Mouse Mat might be the product for you. Combined with its razor thin profile, the mouse pad has a new and improved adhesive backing that allows it to stay put in the exact position you need. Together these two features make for a very unobtrusive mouse pad that will only enhance your gaming experience.
Designed to fine-tune and increase your mouse performance (particularly when using the Razer Gaming Mouse), the Razer Sphex V2 Gaming Mouse Mat can be used equally as well with optical and laser powered mice; and it is fully optimized for both control and speed during competitive game play. The extra durable polycarbonate surface on this mouse pad is lab tested and enhanced to improve high impact scenarios, as well as rip and tear strength during some of the most intense gaming sessions, including tournament play. The intelligently-designed adhesive backing allows it to stay put and remove easily, making it very portable for those who play outside of their primary gaming room.
Offering users a very comfortable feel and providing the best in gaming performance, the highly-rated Razer Sphex V2 Gaming Mouse Mat is the perfect mouse companion for serious gamers.
- Great adhesive backing. The adhesive backing on the base of the Razer Sphex V2 Gaming Mouse Mat helps it stay locked in place on your gaming desk.
- Enhances gaming mice. The design of this mouse pad helps to enhance the performance of your gaming mouse.
- Ultra-thin. The Razer Sphex V2 Gaming Mouse Mat is so ultra-thin you might even forget it’s there.
- Can damage the desk. Depending on the top surface of your gaming desk, the adhesive backing on the Razer Sphex V2 Gaming Mouse Mat may damage the desk.
- Backing can come loose. Some users have complained that the backing on this mouse pad can come loose, causing the mat to slide around.
Logitech G Powerplay Gaming Mouse Pad
Brought to you by one of the undisputed leaders in gaming technology and accessories, the Logitech G Powerplay Gaming Mouse Pad offers you continuous wireless charging technology that is tops in the industry. Unlike traditional mouse pads, which merely offer a slightly cushioned base for your mouse, the Logitech G Powerplay Gaming Mouse Pad will charge your specialized wireless gaming mouse continuously as you play your game. No more cords or USB cables to get in the way; this mouse pad takes advantage of all the latest technology, much of it originally developed by the Logitech Corporation.
The Logitech G Powerplay Gaming Mouse Pad has solved the barriers to high performance wireless gaming, making wireless disconnects, input lags and dead batteries a thing of the past. Its Powercore module is compatible with Logitech mice only, including the Logitech G703 and G903 models. Users can select from the ultra-thin soft-surface mouse pad or the textured hard gaming surface, both of which offer the same level of quality and performance.
- Two gaming surfaces available. Users of the Logitech G Powerplay Gaming Mouse Pad can choose between the soft and hard gaming mat.
- Non-stick surface. The non-stick surface on the mouse pad will never impede the functionality of your mouse.
- Wireless charging. With the Logitech G Powerplay Gaming Mouse Pad, your wireless gaming mouse is charged as you play.
- Can only be used with Logitech mice. The Logitech G Powerplay Gaming Mouse Pad can only be used with the Logitech G703 and G903 gaming mice.
- Cloth can peel over time. Some reviewers have complained that the cloth on this mouse pad can peel over time with heavy use.
What to Look for in a Gaming Mouse Pad
When buying a mouse pad to go along with your premium gaming mouse, there are several factors to consider. Below we have listed just a few of those considerations to help you select a gaming mouse pad that meets all your needs and preferences.
Texture: Smooth vs. Hard Surface
Gaming mouse pads come in two general types: smooth gaming mouse pads and textured gaming mouse pads. You might think this is just a matter of preference—and in some ways it is—but some professional gamers will tell you that the type of game you are playing should dictate what type of mouse pad you should have. Smooth mouse pads, for example, are often the choice for gamers who play first-person shooter games that require quick reaction times. On the other hand, a textured mouse pad can offer you much more control for things like sniping when precision is the main priority.
Most non-gaming mouse pads measure roughly 8 inches by 10 inches. However, when you are looking for a gaming mouse pad we recommend a mouse pad that is substantially larger than that. A larger mouse pad will give you more freedom of movement, and you won’t have to worry about running out of space when you need it most during an intense gaming session. Some gaming mouse pads are even large enough to accommodate both the gaming mouse and gaming keyboard, but not all desks are large enough for this type of setup. Our advice is to go as large as your gaming desk will accommodate for best results, even though this may cause you to dig a little deeper into your wallet.
Gaming mouse pads can be quite thick and very soft for comfort or razor-thin for the best in performance. We recommend you try out multiple gaming mouse pads of various thicknesses to check for feel and comfort before you making an ultimate purchasing decision.
Some gaming mouse pads come with a wrist rest—a rest that has been ergonomically designed for comfort and can also help prevent repetitive movement injuries such as carpel tunnel syndrome. This can be a great feature. However, some serious gamers may find the wrist rest more annoying than helpful—a piece that gets in the way and restricts movement. We recommend you try out gaming mouse pads both with and without the wrist support to see which type most suits your game.
Mouse pads can be made from a variety of materials. Soft mouse pads are made from different types of cloth, usually smooth in nature, to help your gaming mouse glide easily over the surface of the pad. Hard mouse pads can be made from plastic, aluminum and even rubber. As with the “texture” of the mouse pad, the type of material you choose is more a matter of preference than it is performance, as each of these materials have been lab-tested for performance.
If you are playing with a wireless gaming mouse, you may want to consider a gaming mouse pad that offers continuous charging of the mouse as you play. This will help ensure that your mouse stays constantly charged and won’t lose power when it is needed most.
Last but not least is lighting. As you can see from our reviews above, some gaming mouse pads can be programmed using a customized lighting profile. Not only do these LED lights give your mouse pad a professional-looking flair, they can also help light up the gaming area when playing in darker conditions.